Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Veggie Pasty Recipe
Looking for an easy Veggie Pasty recipe? Learn how to make Veggie Pasty using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by bignate0100
Makes 5 servings
For the vegetarians that want the yooper pasty delight, try this one. It's not vegan. [If you're wondering what a Pasty is, you've never eaten in the UP (upper peninsula of Michigan). I personally didn't like them, but this recipe sounds a bit more promising.]
Recipe Ingredients for Veggie Pasty
|2/3||cups butter (or Crisco)|
|1/2||cup cold water|
|2||cups peeled, diced potatoes|
|1/2||tablespoon of olive oil|
|1||cups diced broccoli|
|1||small onion (1/2 cup chopped)|
|1/2||teaspoon season salt|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||tablespoon of olive oil|
|4||oz. cream cheese (1/2 a package)|
|3/4||cup sharp cheddar cheese|
|1/4||cup of milk|
Recipe Directions for Veggie Pasty
- Veggie Pasty
- The Crust:
- a.. 2 cups flour
- b.. 2/3 cups butter (or Crisco)
- c.. 1/2 teaspoon salt
- d.. 1/2 cup cold water
- The Filling:
- a.. 2-1/2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- b.. 1 cup finely diced sweet potatoes
- c.. 1/2 tablespoon of oil or butter
- d.. 1 clove of garlic
- e.. 1/2 cup diced, cooked mushrooms (about 3/4 cups uncooked)
- f.. 1-1/2 cups diced broccoli
- g.. 1 small onion (1/2 cup chopped)
- h.. 1 teaspoon salt
- i.. 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- j.. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- k.. 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- l.. 4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 a package)
- m.. 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- n.. 1/4 cup of milk for moistening and sealing crust
- Cut butter into flour and salt until it forms pea-size lumps. Add cold water
- and knead until well blended. Form into 4 balls and chill in the refrigerator
- for at least one hour. Roll in to 8 inch circle. Use plenty of flour while
- rolling out.
- In a tablespoon of oil or butter sauté garlic and mushrooms. Cook mushrooms
- until soft and half the moisture is gone.
- Mix diced potatoes, sweet potatoes, cooked mushrooms, broccoli, onion, salt,
- season salt, black pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl.
- Put 1-1/2 cups of filling on half of the pasty crust. Cut cream cheese block
- into quarters then cut each quarter into four or five piece and scatter on top
- of the filling pile. Add a tablespoon or two shredded cheddar cheese to top of
- filling. Moisten the edges with milk or water, fold over and pinch to seal.
- Brush outside lightly with milk. Cut three or four slits on top to vent steam.
- Put on a lightly-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes to an hour,
- or until crust is golden brown. Serve with catsup on the side.
Serving Size 245.1g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!