Veggie Meatlof with Checca Sauce Recipe
Looking for an easy Veggie Meatlof with Checca Sauce recipe? Learn how to make Veggie Meatlof with Checca Sauce using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by thewabbit
Makes 8 servings
Vegetarian loaf from Everyday Italian. Not vegan.
Recipe Ingredients for Veggie Meatlof with Checca Sauce
|1||pint cherry tomatoes, halved|
|3||scallions, coarsely chopped|
|3||clove garlic, chopped|
|3||tbsp olive oil|
|1||pinch ground black pepper|
|3/4||cup (5 oz.) lentils|
|3||cups vegetable broth, reduced sodium|
|1||cup brown rice, short grain, rinsed well|
|1/2||cup white onion, finely chopped|
|1/2||cup carrot, finely shredded|
|1||stalk celery, sliced|
|1/2||cup corn kernels, frozen|
|10||oz. baby spinach|
|1||cup mozzarella cheese, whole milk, cubed|
|2||eggs, lightly beaten|
|1/4||cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated|
|1/3||cup basil leaves, chopped|
|1||tsp ground black pepper|
|1/2||cup mozzarella cheese, cubed|
|2||tbsp Parmesan cheese|
Recipe Directions for Veggie Meatlof with Checca Sauce
- Combine the cherry tomatoes, scallions, garlic, basil and oil in a processor. Pulse the tomatoes until they are coarsely chopped, being careful not to puree. Set aside. Season the sauce with salt and pepper
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring the water just to a boil over high heat. Carefully drain the boiling water and rinse the lentils.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat, bring the broth to a boil. Add the rice and return the liquid to a boil. Decrease the heat to low, cover the rice, and gently simmer without stirring for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, onion, carrot, and celery. Cover and continue cooking without stirring until the rice and lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes longer. Turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle the corn over the rice and lentils and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover and let stand for 5 more minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the butter over a 10 by 4 1/2 by 3-inch loaf pan.
- In a heavy, large skillet, cook the spinach over medium heat until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Drain and squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach. Transfer the spinach to a work surface and coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the lentil mixture, spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper, and half of the checca sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Arrange the
- sliced tomatoes in a row over the lentil mixture. Sprinkle
- with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Bake uncovered until the loaf is heated through and the topping is melted and starting to brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Slice the loaf into 2-inch slices, arrange on plates, and serve with the remaining checca sauce.
Main Dish, Bake
Serving Size 293.9g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!