Spaghetti Swap & Meatballs Recipe
Submitted by hungrygirl_lisa
Makes 2 servings
Spaghetti squash = one of the best pasta swaps EVER! Say buh-bye to unnecessary starchy calories...
For more tips & tricks from Hungry Girl, sign up for the daily e-mail:
Recipe Ingredients for Spaghetti Swap & Meatballs
|1 spaghetti squash (about 4.5 lbs.)|
|6 oz. raw extra-lean ground beef|
|2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)|
|1 tsp. dried parsley|
|1/2 tsp. chopped garlic|
|1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper|
|1/2 cup finely diced onion|
|1/2 cup finely diced carrot|
|1 tsp. chopped garlic|
|1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh basil|
|2 tbsp. tomato paste|
|1 tsp. Italian seasoning|
|1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, or more to taste|
|1/4 tsp. ground cumin|
|4 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping|
Recipe Directions for Spaghetti Swap & Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Microwave whole squash for 3 - 4 minutes, until soft enough to cut. Halve lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Fill a large baking pan with 1/2 inch water and place squash halves in the pan, cut sides down. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Thoroughly mix meatball ingredients (ground beef through salt and black pepper) in a large bowl. Evenly form into 6 meatballs and place on the baking sheet, evenly spaced. Bake until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape out squash strands. Place in a strainer to drain excess moisture. Blot dry, if needed. Transfer to another large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Bring a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and carrot until slightly softened, 6 - 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 - 2 minutes. Add all remaining sauce ingredients except Parm-style topping (crushed tomatoes through cumin); stir to combine. Add meatballs and bring sauce to a low boil. Reduce heat to low. Gently stirring occasionally, simmer until veggies have softened and meatballs are hot, about 8 minutes.
- Add sauce to spaghetti strands and stir to coat. Serve topped with meatballs and Parm-style topping!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!