Soup ¦ Chicken Chayote ¦ » [20 Oz.] 2009.10.03-S Recipe
Looking for an easy Soup ¦ Chicken Chayote ¦ » [20 oz.] 2009.10.03-S recipe? Learn how to make Soup ¦ Chicken Chayote ¦ » [20 oz.] 2009.10.03-S using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by chicothorn
Makes 36 servings
A new bounty from the garden! Now harvesting chayotes for a wonderful addition!
Recipe Ingredients for Soup ¦ Chicken Chayote ¦ » [20 oz.] 2009.10.03-S
|2 1/2||chicken breast|
|2 1/2||chicken drumstick|
|1/3||cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1||cup minced garlic|
|84||oz. chicken broth|
|2||lb. chopped carrots|
|3 1/2||cups chopped celery|
|3||cups chopped zucchini|
|2||cups chopped eggplant|
|6||cups chopped chayote|
|4||cups sliced okra|
|2||cups bell pepper|
|8||cups fresh basil|
|1||cup black beans|
|1 1/4||cups barley|
|3/4||cup brown rice|
|1/4||cup wild rice|
|5||tsp dry oregano|
|5||tsp dry parsley|
|5||tsp dry rosemary|
|5||tsp dry thyme|
|5||tsp dry basil|
|1||cup dehydrated onion|
|1/4||cup soy sauce|
|2/3||cup sesame seeds|
|8||tbsp chicken bouillon|
|10||cups cold water|
Recipe Directions for Soup ¦ Chicken Chayote ¦ » [20 oz.] 2009.10.03-S
- Wash and core all tomatoes, cut small "x" on bottom for easier skinning.
- Blanch tomatoes for at least 1 minute in boiling water, immediately plung into ice bath in sink.
- Remove tomato skins and cut in eighths into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Trim basil leaves off stems, chop into separate bowl. Set aside.
- Cut up in bite sized pieces the carrots, celery, bell peppers and onions (keep separate from other veggies). Set aside.
- Using a pre-roasted chicken, remove the meat from the bones, separating the dark from the light. Keep the drumstick and thigh bones. Set aside.
- Now, using a large stainless steel pot, add the olive oil. When heated add the dark chicken meat (chopped), 1/2 of the chopped onions, garlic, 1/4 cup basque norte marinade and 1 cup basil. Lightly sautee in oil until golden brown.
- Add to pot half of the tomatoes, half the chicken broth, 1/3 of the remaining basil, 1/3 of the bell peppers, carrots and celery, plus the chicken leg bones, mushrooms, all of the grains, 4 tbsp bullion, soy sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour or until grains are tender.
- Meanwhile chop into bite-size pieces the chayote, zucchini, eggplant and okra into separate bowl. Set aside.
- When grains are tender, add the remaining carrots, celery and onion. Increase heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes more.
- Add White Chicken Meat (chopped), the remaining tomatoes, bell peppers, all of the chayote, zucchini, eggplant, okra, corn and black beans. Turn heat up to med-high.
- Take soup's temperature, when it reaches just above 165 degrees for at least one minute turn off the heat. Mixture will be thick.
- Ladel half the soup mixture into second large stainless steel pot.
- Add and stir in to both pots all remaining basil and sesame seeds.
- Add to both pots COLD water to thin broth as desired. (This immediately begins to cool the soup helping to preserve the veggies freshness.)
- Taste the soup. Add additional chicken bouillon and seasoning if necessary.
- Add Basque Norte Marinade (about 1/2 cup).
- Sit covered for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Ladle all of the soup into 20 oz. Ziploc containers for freezing and serving. (Leaving soup in the pot too long causes everything to overcook and get mushy, so get it out of the pot as soon as possible to cool.)
Serving Size 510.8g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!