Sesame Seed Balls Recipe
Looking for an easy Sesame Seed Balls recipe? Learn how to make Sesame Seed Balls using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by celestialkiddy
Makes 60 servings
These are tasty dim sum (chinese finger food) bites!
Recipe Ingredients for Sesame Seed Balls
|2||cups rice flour|
|2/3||cup wheat flour|
|1/4||cup dark brown sugar|
|2/3||cup boiling water|
|1/2||cup sesame seeds|
|8||oz dried red beans|
|1/4||cup black sesame seeds|
|1 1/4||cup sugar|
Recipe Directions for Sesame Seed Balls
- Start with the rice flour and mix in the water.
- Mix by hand until the mixture forms a dough, set aside.
- Add the lard (or crisco) to the wheat starch.
- Mix together. I used a fork to do this, much like you would for a pie crust.
- Add the brown sugar to 2/3 cup water in a small pot and stir until dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- This next part is a little tricky and involves hot boiling sugar water, so be careful.
- To the wheat starch and lard mixture, quickly pour the boiling sugar water mixture while stirring vigorously until combined.
- Add the wheat starch mixture to the rice flour and mix well by hand.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead until thoroughly mixed, about 10 minutes. A mixer with a dough hook works much more quickly, mixing until the dough forms a ball.
- Flatten the dough to 1/2 and inch and wrap in plastic wrap. Refridgerate for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Now you get to make the balls.
- You will need:
- Red bean paste (directions follow, or use canned)
- 1/2 c White sesame seeds
- Preheat 4/6 cups of oil (or heat your deep fryer) to 360 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide in half. Rewrap one half and set aside. Knead the other portion a few times and roll into a 1 inch dough worm.
- Cut dough into 20 sections and roll each into a ball. Cover and repeat with the other half of the dough.
- The bean paste I had was a little watery so I drained it a bit. I took a spoonful at a time and set it in a couple paper towels (a tea towel would work well also). Fold over the towel and squeeze to remove some of the water. When you unfold the towel the paste should be noticeably drier.
- Take one of the balls and form into a shallow cup.
- Add a dab of the bean paste 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon to the center of the cup.
- Bring the sides up to close the opening and roll in the palm to make an even ball.
- Roll this ball into white sesame seeds to coat.
- Fry the sesame seed balls in 360 degree F oil about 4-6 at a time. Remove each ball when it begins to float. Drain on a rack or paper towels, serve hot.
- For the Red Bean Paste:
- 1. Wash beans in cold water. Discard any that float.
- 2. Put beans into a 2-quart pan. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat.
- 3. When water boils, add 1/2 c more water and reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, until beans are tender enough to be easily mashed between thumb and finger, about 2 hours. Replace water as necessary to keep beans covered. Cool in liquid to room temperature.
- 4. Place beans and liquid in bowl of food processor with metal blade. Puree.
- 5. Place towel in mixing bowl. Pour in beans. Gather four corners together and twist to squeeze out excess liquid. Discard liquid.
- 6. Toast black sesame seeds and pulverize in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- 7. Heat lard in wok over medium heat until liquified. Add bean paste, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until beans are the consistency of slightly dry mashed potatoes, about 25 minutes. Make sure the mixture doesn?t burn.
- 8. Stir in pulverized black sesame seeds at this point. The mixture should be very thick.
- 9. Place in a shallow bowl and cool to room temperature.
Appetizers, Side Dish, Snacks, Chinese, Cocktail Party, Advance, Fry, Vegetarian
Serving Size 25.2g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!