Richard Thomas' Applesauce Cake & Whiskey Frosting Recipe
Looking for an easy Richard Thomas' Applesauce Cake & Whiskey Frosting recipe? Learn how to make Richard Thomas' Applesauce Cake & Whiskey Frosting using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by fitbahamas
Makes 11 servings
Moist, apple-and-nut-filled slices of spice cake taste even better spiked with whiskey frosting or sherry glaze. Actor Richard Thomas shared his recipe with the Chicago Tribune in 1973, the year after he won an Emmy for his portrayal of John-Boy Walton in The Waltons. Walton-esque in its old-fashioned stylings, Thomas' spice cake (pictured below) is full of nuts & raisins and is moistened with applesauce. Slathered with whiskey frosting, it'll take you all the way down home.
Recipe Ingredients for Richard Thomas' Applesauce Cake & Whiskey Frosting
|2||tsp Nutmeg, Ground|
|1||tsp Cinnamon, Ground|
|1||tsp Baking Soda|
|3.5||cup Wheat Flour, White, All-purpose, Enriched, Bleached|
|1||dash Salt, Table|
|2||cup (not packed) Raisins, Golden Seedless|
|1||cup Sugars, Granulated|
|2||large Egg, Whole|
|16||oz Applesauce Chunky|
|0.25||fl oz Milk, Reduced Fat, Fluid, 2% Milkfat|
|10||oz Confectioners Sugar|
Recipe Directions for Richard Thomas' Applesauce Cake & Whiskey Frosting
- Sift dry ingredients together. Combine nuts and raisins; stir in 1/2 cup of the flour mixture. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs--one at a time--beating thoroughly after each. Alternately add flour mixture and applesauce, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in raisin mixture. Spoon into greased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake cake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center or cake comes out clean
- Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Make frosting: Combine butter with whipping cream. Beat in about 1 cup confectioners sugar. Then beat in remaining sugar adding 3 to 4 Tbsp whiskey, or enough to make frosting of spreading consistency
- This is of that class of cakes that improves a little with time! Wrap well and this cake will last you for a while.
- Recipes by Alphabet
- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
- Recipes by Meal Part
- Baked goods
- Preserves and Pickles
- Sauces and Salad dressings
- Vegetables and side dishes
Serving Size 1102.9g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!