Punjabi Pindi Chole (Bt) Recipe
Looking for an easy Punjabi Pindi Chole (BT) recipe? Learn how to make Punjabi Pindi Chole (BT) using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by mayflowerbp
Makes 8 servings
A popular variation of the versatile Chole, this is different from the regular preparation in terms of texture and color. Pindi Chole is a dry dish, where the Chole are coated very lightly with the gravy. Tea leaves give this dish its rich color.
Recipe Ingredients for Punjabi Pindi Chole (BT)
|1 1/2||cup Dry Chick Peas|
|1/4||cup. chana dal (split bengal gram), soaked overnight|
|1/4||tsp. baking soda|
|4||g Tea Bags|
|1||cup grated onions|
|1 1/2||tsp. pomegranate (anardana) powder|
|1||tsp. ginger (adrak) paste|
|1||tsp. thinly sliced green chilies|
|3||g Garam Masala Powder|
|1/2||tsp. chili powder|
|3/4||cup fresh tomato puree|
|4||tbsp. High Heat Sunflower Oil, Organic, Refined|
|1||salt to taste|
Recipe Directions for Punjabi Pindi Chole (BT)
- 1 cup Kabuli Chana
- 2 tbsp. chana dal (split bengal gram), soaked overnight
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 25 mm. (1") stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. tea leaves
- 1/2 cup grated onions
- 1 1/2 tsp. pomegranate (anardana) powder
- 1 tsp. ginger (adrak) paste
- 1 tsp. thinly sliced green chilies
- 1 tsp. coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp. Punjabi garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 cup fresh tomato puree
- 2 tsp. chole masala
- 4 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- For the garnish
- 2 tbsp. grated paneer (cottage cheese)
- Drain and wash the kabuli chana and chana dal. Keep aside.
- Make a small potli by tying the cardamom, cinnamon and tea leaves in a 2" x 2" piece of muslin cloth.
- Pressure cook the kabuli chana, chana dal, the potli, soda-bi-carb, salt and 2½ cups of water for 2 whistles.
- Discard the potli and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai; add the onions and sauté till they are golden brown.
- Add in the pomegranate seed powder, ginger paste, green chilies, coriander powder, Punjabi garam masala and chili powder.
- Add the tomato purée and salt and cook till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add the kabuli chana and chana dal along with the water and chole masala.
- Cook till the chole is completely dry.
Serving Size 113.1g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!