Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.

Do personal trainers specialize in seniors age 65+?
Asked by shirley2194 on Oct 08, 2009 in Fitness

I'm looking for a trainer who can help me choose workouts suited to my age (65+). None of the trainers at my gym know anything about working with senior citizens. Obviously there are limits for seniors that could lead to injury such as declining bone density, arthritis, beginning muscle atrophy, etc.  I want maximum training for my age without injury.


To find a specialist trainer, contact a large practice of doctors or physical therapists who specialize in Sports Medicine or Orthopedics, and ask them to recommend a personal trainer or exercise physiologist who works with geriatric patients.  The doctors and PTs can refer you to a trainer who has a four-year degree rather than a 3-4 month study course, and has experience working with arthritis, osteoporosis, and other age-related conditions.

Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!