Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Looking for an easy Moussaka recipe? Learn how to make Moussaka using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by spotsknight
Makes 6 servings
Delicious Greek Dish!!! The Cinnamon and Nutmeg really stand out
Recipe Ingredients for Moussaka
|2 1/2||tsp salt, divided|
|2||large potatoes, Russet, peeled|
|1/4||cup olive oil, divided|
|5||tbls I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Fat Free , divided|
|1||large Onion, chopped|
|1 1/2||lbs lean Ground beef , or lamb|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||cup tomatoes, chopped|
|1/2||cup dry red wine|
|1/8||tsp black pepper|
|1||cup parmesan cheese, shredded|
Recipe Directions for Moussaka
- Cut Eggplant lengthwise into .5 inch slices place in colander over a bowl and spinkle with 1 tsp salt.
- Let sit 30 minutes and Drain (the salt will pull water out of the eggplant).
- Cut zucchini in lengthwise 3/8 inch slices.
- Cut potatoes in lengthwise 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes in single layer and cook 5 minutes on each side or until tender and slightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil if needed, Cook zucchini 2 minutes per side or until tender. Drain on Paper towels.
- Add oil if needed, Cook Eggplant 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. (discard any remaining oil)
- In same skillet, add 1 tbls butter and onion Cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add Beef and Garlic and cook 10 minutes or until beef is not pink. Drain grease.
- Stir in Tomatoes, wine, 1 tsp salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Bring to boil over high high, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Preheat over to 350 F. Grease, 13x9 baking dish.
- Arrange potatoes on bottom in a layer, cover with .25 cup cheese.
- Layer Zucchini and cover with .25 cup cheese.
- Layer Egplant and cover with .25 cup cheese.
- Spoon meat mixture over top.
- Make Bechamel Sauce:
- Melt remaining butter in medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Blend in Flour, remaining salt and nutmeg with wire whisk.
- Cook 1 minute whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Gradually whisk in milk cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens (whisking constantly).
- Pour Bechamel sauce over meat mixture in baking dish.
- Top with remaining .25 cup cheese.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Beef, Vegetables, Main Dish, Greek
Serving Size 619.2g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!