Looking for an easy Moussaka recipe? Learn how to make Moussaka using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by spotsknight
Makes 6 servings
Delicious Greek Dish!!! The Cinnamon and Nutmeg really stand out
Recipe Ingredients for Moussaka
|2 1/2||tsp salt, divided|
|2||large potatoes, Russet, peeled|
|1/4||cup olive oil, divided|
|5||tbls I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Fat Free , divided|
|1||large Onion, chopped|
|1 1/2||lbs lean Ground beef , or lamb|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||cup tomatoes, chopped|
|1/2||cup dry red wine|
|1/8||tsp black pepper|
|1||cup parmesan cheese, shredded|
Recipe Directions for Moussaka
- Cut Eggplant lengthwise into .5 inch slices place in colander over a bowl and spinkle with 1 tsp salt.
- Let sit 30 minutes and Drain (the salt will pull water out of the eggplant).
- Cut zucchini in lengthwise 3/8 inch slices.
- Cut potatoes in lengthwise 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes in single layer and cook 5 minutes on each side or until tender and slightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil if needed, Cook zucchini 2 minutes per side or until tender. Drain on Paper towels.
- Add oil if needed, Cook Eggplant 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. (discard any remaining oil)
- In same skillet, add 1 tbls butter and onion Cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add Beef and Garlic and cook 10 minutes or until beef is not pink. Drain grease.
- Stir in Tomatoes, wine, 1 tsp salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Bring to boil over high high, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Preheat over to 350 F. Grease, 13x9 baking dish.
- Arrange potatoes on bottom in a layer, cover with .25 cup cheese.
- Layer Zucchini and cover with .25 cup cheese.
- Layer Egplant and cover with .25 cup cheese.
- Spoon meat mixture over top.
- Make Bechamel Sauce:
- Melt remaining butter in medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Blend in Flour, remaining salt and nutmeg with wire whisk.
- Cook 1 minute whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Gradually whisk in milk cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens (whisking constantly).
- Pour Bechamel sauce over meat mixture in baking dish.
- Top with remaining .25 cup cheese.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Beef, Vegetables, Main Dish, Greek
Serving Size 619.2g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!