Mole Manchamanteles with Chicken Recipe
Looking for an easy Mole Manchamanteles w/chicken recipe? Learn how to make Mole Manchamanteles w/chicken using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by paocesp
Makes 16 servings
Recipe Source: Los Angeles Times - 04-28-1999 Recipe from Billy Cross, founder of the Napa Valley's Great Chefs of France Cooking School
Recipe Ingredients for Mole Manchamanteles w/chicken
|4||Celery stalks, chopped|
|2||pinches ground cloves|
|2||Garlic cloves, chopped|
|2||tsp bay leaf, 2 bay leaves|
|2||tsp thyme, fresh or 2 sprigs|
|1||chili pepper, dried chile de arbol|
|2||tbsp whole allspice|
|6||chili pepper, dried guajillo chiles|
|1||chili pepper, dried ancho chile|
|4||cup Boiling water|
|1||lb Fresh tomatoes|
|1||tbsp vegetable oil|
|1/2||cup Raw sesame seeds|
|1||White onion, roughly chopped|
|1/4||cup almonds, raw|
|1/4||cup Raw pecans|
|4||Garlic cloves, halved|
|2||pinches ground cloves|
|1||tbsp whole allspice|
|1||tbspn ground cinnamon|
|1/2||tsp dried oregano|
|9||cup Chicken stock|
|1 1/2||tbsp Sugar|
Recipe Directions for Mole Manchamanteles w/chicken
- STOCK: Cut each chicken into 8 pieces. Simmer chicken pieces, onions,
- celery, cloves, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, chile de arbol,
- allspice and water in large stockpot and cook until tender, 30 to 40
- minutes. Add salt to taste. Remove chicken from stock and set aside.
- Discard vegetables and seasonings and reserve stock.
- MOLE: Remove stems, seeds and veins from both kinds of chiles. Toast
- chiles in skillet or on griddle over low heat until slightly fragrant and
- beginning to blister. Be careful not to burn chiles. Put chiles in bowl
- and pour boiling water over them. Let soak 20 to 30 minutes (the longer
- they soak, the less hot they become). Transfer chiles from bowl to
- blender with slotted spoon and puree, adding some of soaking water if
- needed to blend well. Pass pureed chiles through sieve or food mill and
- set aside.
- Quarter tomatoes and cook in dry skillet over medium heat until dry,
- about 20 minutes. Blend well in blender and pass through sieve or food
- mill to remove seeds and skins.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over low heat. When hot, add sesame
- seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until seeds brown slightly, about 5
- minutes. Transfer to bowl. When cool, grind in spice grinder or with
- mortar and pestle.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and onions and
- cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and transparent, about 10
- minutes. Add almonds, pecans, raisins, garlic, cloves, peppercorns,
- allspice, cinnamon and oregano and saute, stirring constantly, until brown
- and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Transfer to blender and add 1 cup chicken
- stock. Blend until smooth.
- Put 2 tablespoons oil in large pot and heat over medium heat until
- slight haze forms over oil. Add chile puree and fry, stirring constantly,
- until dry, about 20 minutes. Mixture will splatter, so carefully
- partially cover pot with towel. Add tomatoes, sesame seeds and onion
- mixture and cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes. Add chicken stock to
- make fairly loose mixture, 4 to 6 cups, and continue cooking, adding more
- stock as necessary.
- Slice plantains and fry in 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat
- until brown and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add plantain or pineapple to chile mixture and cook about 10 minutes to
- combine flavors. Add 1 tablespoon salt or more to taste. Stir in sugar.
- Mole should be thick enough to coat spoon. Add more stock to thin, if
- needed. Add chicken to mole and gently stir to completely coat chicken.
- Transfer to large, warm serving dish or platter. Place any sauce that
- won't fit in serving dish in bowl and serve with corn tortillas.
- Yields 8 to 10 servings.
Chicken, Main Dish
Serving Size 764.6g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!