Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Greg's Red Sauce Recipe
Looking for an easy Greg's Red Sauce recipe? Learn how to make Greg's Red Sauce using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by jomamma79
Makes 6 servings
Favorite for a meal "off" night :O)
Recipe Ingredients for Greg's Red Sauce
|1/2||cup Extra Virgin olive oil|
|1||pound Pork, Cured Ham Center Slice|
|1/4||teaspoon crushed red peppers|
|1 1/2||tablespoons basil|
|2||teaspoons iodized salt|
|1/4||teaspoon white pepper|
|750||grams tomato sauce|
Recipe Directions for Greg's Red Sauce
- Greg?s Red Sauce
- ½ cup Bertolli olive oil ? Extra Virgin (do not use light)
- 1 medium onion ? finely chopped
- 7 cloves of fresh garlic ? pressed
- 1 pound of ham meat
- Options: 1 package bacon ? cut into pieces
- 1 pound cured ham ? chopped into bits
- 1 pound plain linked sausage ? squeeze sausage out of the liner
- Crushed red peppers ? just a sprinkle of maybe 8 ? 10 (add more if you like spicy)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons basil
- 2 teaspoons iodized salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Cracked pepper ? go around the saucepan three times churning your pepper mill
- Sugar (pinch)
- 1 box Pomi tomato sauce ? DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TOMATO SAUCE
- ? I can only find it at Fred Meyer; it?s in a red box that says ?from Italy?
- 1 boxed package of Barilla noodles
- Shredded Parmesan cheese.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil until hot. Add onion and brown on high.
- Once browned, add garlic and turn heat down to medium high. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add meat and cook until done. (Depending on what meat you cook with, brown bacon and sausage ? heat ham for a few minutes.)
- Add spices and let cook a few more minutes.
- Add the Pomi tomato sauce. Mix the meat and olive oil well with the sauce. There should be a slight ring of olive oil around the top edge of the sauce once mixed.
- - Note: if the ring of olive oil is missing, add a touch more olive oil and mix the sauce again until it appears.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes. Check the taste.
- Cook sauce for a minimum of 30 minutes on medium to medium-low heat.
- - Note: The longer the better! Let simmer on low for a few hours, or you can put the sauce in a crock-pot all day on low.
- In a large pot boil enough water, with a sprinkle of iodized salt, to cook both packages of your noodles (or cook one box and save sauce for later!) Only add noodles when water is boiling. Cook at a boil for 10-12 minutes. Drain but DO NOT RINSE.
- Either let people add their own sauce to their noodles, or mix together before serving. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
Serving Size 319.8g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!