Greg's Red Sauce Recipe
Looking for an easy Greg's Red Sauce recipe? Learn how to make Greg's Red Sauce using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by jomamma79
Makes 6 servings
Favorite for a meal "off" night :O)
Recipe Ingredients for Greg's Red Sauce
|1/2||cup Extra Virgin olive oil|
|1||pound Pork, Cured Ham Center Slice|
|1/4||teaspoon crushed red peppers|
|1 1/2||tablespoons basil|
|2||teaspoons iodized salt|
|1/4||teaspoon white pepper|
|750||grams tomato sauce|
Recipe Directions for Greg's Red Sauce
- Greg?s Red Sauce
- ½ cup Bertolli olive oil ? Extra Virgin (do not use light)
- 1 medium onion ? finely chopped
- 7 cloves of fresh garlic ? pressed
- 1 pound of ham meat
- Options: 1 package bacon ? cut into pieces
- 1 pound cured ham ? chopped into bits
- 1 pound plain linked sausage ? squeeze sausage out of the liner
- Crushed red peppers ? just a sprinkle of maybe 8 ? 10 (add more if you like spicy)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons basil
- 2 teaspoons iodized salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Cracked pepper ? go around the saucepan three times churning your pepper mill
- Sugar (pinch)
- 1 box Pomi tomato sauce ? DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TOMATO SAUCE
- ? I can only find it at Fred Meyer; it?s in a red box that says ?from Italy?
- 1 boxed package of Barilla noodles
- Shredded Parmesan cheese.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil until hot. Add onion and brown on high.
- Once browned, add garlic and turn heat down to medium high. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add meat and cook until done. (Depending on what meat you cook with, brown bacon and sausage ? heat ham for a few minutes.)
- Add spices and let cook a few more minutes.
- Add the Pomi tomato sauce. Mix the meat and olive oil well with the sauce. There should be a slight ring of olive oil around the top edge of the sauce once mixed.
- - Note: if the ring of olive oil is missing, add a touch more olive oil and mix the sauce again until it appears.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes. Check the taste.
- Cook sauce for a minimum of 30 minutes on medium to medium-low heat.
- - Note: The longer the better! Let simmer on low for a few hours, or you can put the sauce in a crock-pot all day on low.
- In a large pot boil enough water, with a sprinkle of iodized salt, to cook both packages of your noodles (or cook one box and save sauce for later!) Only add noodles when water is boiling. Cook at a boil for 10-12 minutes. Drain but DO NOT RINSE.
- Either let people add their own sauce to their noodles, or mix together before serving. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
Serving Size 319.8g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!