Weight Loss
Moderators: devilish_patsy, spoiled_candy, coach_k, nycgirl, Mollybygolly

Not losing any weight despite exercise and watching what I eat.

Quote  |  Reply

I started working towards my weight loss at end of December. I started at 157 lbs. (around 20-25 lbs. heavier than I should be) and despite all my efforts, I haven't lost one single pound!

I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for 45 mins-1 hr. The first few weeks I did mostly steady pace in the elliptical or just walking but this week, I started adding intervals and strenght training.

I'm not counting calories but I'm being mindful of what I eat. I'm eating a cup of Special K for breakfast, for lunch I have Lean Cuisine with an extra cup of veggies or a salad (usually some protein, spinach, peppers, chick peas and a little bit of dressing), carrots and hummus or yogurt as a snack and for dinner I have either chicken in a yogurt sauce, or a lentils stew, or pasta w/veggies etc.. My dinners tend to be on the healthy side and I'm trying to be mindful of portions. I don't eat fried stuff, ice cream, chips, soda, etc. One of my problems is that I tend to snack too much or eat too many carbs but I'm even controlling that. And I'm not going out drinking at all.

I think I'm eating enough so next week I'll try to journal to see if I'm doing something else that I'm not noting. Maybe I can cut some more calories but I know I'm not out of control so I think I should be seeing some results. I know I shouldn't be so hung up on pounds but I'm at the heaviest I've been all my life and the last time I started a weight loss regimen (about 2 yrs. ago) I saw some change in my weight from week to week but now I'm seeing nothing!

3 Replies (last)

Without measuring you really don't have any idea how many calories you are consuming.  At least for a baseline (1-3 days) try actually calculating what you are consuming(weigh everything) instead of guessing.  Then you can make educated decisions on whether to go up or down in intake depending on where you are truly at.

Yes...unfortunately, no matter how much you exercise...eating right is the key. A friend at Bally's told me that weight loss is 70% eating right, and the other 30 percent is moving around more.

I know carbs like to attach themselves right to my backside...when I am trying to lose big-time, I stick to low carbs....lean meats and lots of green salads. It seems even if I stay within my caloric guidelines, if I have too many carbs...I do not lose.

It sounds like you have what it takes to get this thing done. Something has got to be not right with your calorie intake. And it sounds crazy, but it might even be too LOW, causing your body to hold onto every pound. I can't say that without knowing how many cals you are consuming per day, but i can tell you are trying hard not to have too MANY, so it's my guess.

I know it's kinda tedious to count calories, but I suggest that you do it even if just for a day or two to see how many you are taking in. Go to this link, and it will give you a good idea of how many you should be taking in to lose weight. Calorie Tool

I have a sneaking suspicion that you will find that you are not getting enough calories for your body and your exercise level. I know it seems insane that eating more would help with weight loss-- I thought the same thing-- but the metabolism is a curious thing, and the body responds positively to being well-nourished but not over-nourished!

Good luck! You seem to be very determined and I think you'll be on your way in no time!

3 Replies