Feeling on Top of the World
For Kt_bug91 being camera shy is a past memory. She has lost 100 lbs and feels on top of the world. With her new found energy she has started college and is following her dream of joining the Air Force.
She contacted us through our Share Your Story feature, and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What made you decide to lose weight this time? Did you have an "Aha!" moment?
I don't know if I really had an "Aha!" moment. I do remember my mom wanting me to have my senior pictures taken and I stated "not going to happen until I lose weight." That was in August of 2008. In January, the nagging hadn't stopped, so I decided I was going to stop feeling sorry for myself and do something about my weight. I also was considering going into the Air Force and knew I couldn't being so overweight.
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I tried the "6 Week Body Makeover", a raw vegan diet, and tried eating healthy. I don't think I stuck with any of them for more than a couple of weeks.
3. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude?
I pretty much did a 360 from my previous lifestyle. I cut out sugar, a lot of processed sugary items, fatty meats and fried foods, and started eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. I also started incorporating daily exercise. I started out by walking, but now I run 2-3 miles almost every day.
4. How did Calorie Count help you to lose weight?
Calorie Count helped me lose weight by keeping track of what I ate. It opened my eyes to how many calories I actually consumed. It was pretty shocking!
5. What was most challenging about losing weight?
The most challenging thing about losing weight for me was keeping on track when I was hanging out with my friends. I mean, what is a healthy thing to eat at a bonfire?
6. How long did it take you to see results?
I didn't take long for me to see results. Especially when it came to the way my clothes fit. It was so exciting to have to wear a belt! The first week I lost 5 lbs.
7. When did you realize that you were a success?
I felt successful when I got under 200 lbs. Being under 200 lbs was the best feeling in the world. I also had a pair of size 7 jeans that were my goal. I wore them yesterday!
8. How do you prevent relapse?
I prevent relapse by treating myself, but mostly not with food. I eat one piece of Hershey's Bliss Dark Chocolate a day. I also like to treat myself with new clothes.
9. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
I'm so much more self confident! I put myself out there and feel like I can conquer the world. I'm so excited to start college and meet new people. I'm also now able to go into the Air Force as a nurse and serve my country.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Don't wait, start your weight loss journey now.
- Find healthy ways to make the food you love.
- Get support from your friends and family, this is crucial!
- Have a goal and don't stop until you reach it, no matter how long
- Love yourself no matter how much you weigh.
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.