Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Looking for an easy Fanesca recipe? Learn how to make Fanesca using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by alex2419
Makes 20 servings
Traditional Ecuadorian Soup for Good Friday
Recipe Ingredients for Fanesca
|2||lbs Cod, Atlantic, Dried And Salted|
|6||cups diced sambo or fresh squash (zucchini), about 2 1/2 lbs|
|6||cups diced zapallo or squash, about a small sized squash butternut squash|
|2||cups shredded cabbage|
|4||cups Fava Beans|
|4||cups cooked corn kernels|
|3||cups cooked green peas|
|2||cups cooked lima beans|
|2||cups cooked cannellini beans|
|2||cups Lupini Beans|
|2||cups cooked rice|
|1||g g of Culantro Y Achiote Seasoning  serving|
|1||cup diced white onion|
|1||cup diced red onion|
|10||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1||tbs ground cumin|
|1||tbs dry oregano|
|1||tsp ground pepper|
|1 4/5||cups peanut butter|
|1||cup heavy cream|
|12||oz cream cheese|
|1||cup feta cheese|
|60||g 1/2 bunch of cilantro or parsley, finely chopped|
Recipe Directions for Fanesca
- Soak the salt cod in water for 24 hours, changing the water every 6-8 hours, each time the water should be less and less salty, at the end cut the cod into medium sized pieces (if it doesn?t come already cut).
- Cook the diced butternut squash and zucchini separately, with a barely enough water to cover them, cook until they are very tender, drain the water and place them in a blender or food make a puree.
- Boil the shredded cabbage with a small amount of water for about 3 minutes, drain and add the cabbage to the squash puree.
- In a large stock pot or soup pot, heat the butter over medium heat to make a refrito or base for the soup, add the onions, garlic, achiote, cumin, oregano and pepper and cook until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the refrito and mash it into the refrito with a potato masher to make a thick sauce or puree.
- Add the squash and cabbage puree and mix well.
- Add 4 cups of milk and the fava beans, corn, green peas, lima beans and cannellini beans, stir in well and let simmer for about 15 minutes, stir frequently to avoid the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile bring 6 cups of milk to boil, add the soaked and desalted cod, and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and cod to the soup or if you don?t want the soup to have the strong salted cod flavor then strain the milk and add only the milk to the soup, reserve the fish, fry it in oil until browned on each side and serve on the side or place a piece of the fried cod in each individual soup bowl.
- At this point you want to taste the soup and add salt if needed, how much you need will depend on the whether you add the salt cod to the soup or not (as well as how well you soaked and rinsed the cod).
- Blend the roasted peanuts with 2 cups of milk, add this to the soup, and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- About 5 to 10 minutes before serving, add the chochos or lupini beans, the heavy cream and the cheeses, stir to help the cheeses dissolve.
- Add the chopped cilantro or parsley and stir well. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with the pieces of fried salt cod (unless they were already added to the soup), hardboiled egg slices, lime marinated white onions, fried ripe plantains, slices of queso fresco, fried cheese empanadas, and Ecuadorian hot sauce or slices of hot peppers. These can be added on top of the soup or on the side.
Serving Size 492.8g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!