Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Egyptian Stuffed Vine Leaves Recipe
Looking for an easy Egyptian Stuffed Vine Leaves recipe? Learn how to make Egyptian Stuffed Vine Leaves using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by jackistennes
Makes 8 servings
My mother in laws wonderful vine leaves!
Recipe Ingredients for Egyptian Stuffed Vine Leaves
|490||g Vine Leaves|
|2||cups White Basmati Rice|
|1||cube chicken stock|
|1/4||cup tomato paste|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
Recipe Directions for Egyptian Stuffed Vine Leaves
- dice 3 tomatoes, 3 onions, dill, parsley, 1 clove garlic
- slice 1 clove garlic, 1 tomato and 1 onion and put aside
- wash rice
- heat olive oil and ghee in a large pot
- add diced onions and garlic - cook until soft
- add tomato paste and diced tomatoes
- reduce to a medium heat
- add salt, pepper and cardamom
- add half of the parsley and dill and mix through
- add rice
- add 2nd half of the parsley and dill
- take off heat and put aside until cool enough to touch
- remove vine leaves from jar - do not discard jar juice, put aside to use later
- if stems on leaves have not been removed, keep a small knive handy to use for removal.
- in a large pot, cover the botom with sliced tomato and onion
- TO ROLL VINE LEAVES
- lay 1 leaf flat with smooth side facing down, rough side facing you.
- place a small spoonful of rice mixture into the botom center of the leaf.
- fold botom corners inward, and continue rolling, gathering sides inwards until you reach the top - try to keep them rolled tightly, size depends on you!!
- place them into large pot, tightly circling within pot until full.
- in a small pot boil vine leaf juice, chicken stock ( may add 1/2 lemon juice and a dash of oil to taste)
- add this to the pot of vine leaves
- place vine leaves on high heat until you see water boiling within vine leaves, allow to boil for a few minutes, then cover and reduce heat
- cook until rice is cooked within - about 30-45 minutes
Appetizers, Main Dish, Middle Eastern
Serving Size 371.9g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!