Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Curried Butter Chicken Recipe
Looking for an easy Curried Butter Chicken recipe? Learn how to make Curried Butter Chicken using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by thanatos107
Makes 5 servings
This is a favorite Indian dish. Smooth and flavorful. Spices can be adjusted to make a mild or very spicy dish. Butter & heavy cream can be replaced with oil and yogurt for a healthier version!
Recipe Ingredients for Curried Butter Chicken
|1||medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions|
|1||carrot (7-1/2") Carrots|
|3||pepper Pepper, Serrano|
|10||grams Cinnamon, Ground|
|2||tbsp Vegetable Oil, Canola|
|3||tsp Ginger Root|
|2||tsp Turmeric, Ground|
|1||tbsp Cumin Seed|
|4||g Coriander Powder|
|1||tbsp Tomato Paste|
|0.33||cup (8 fl oz) Water|
|8||small Peppers, Sweet, Red|
|4||oz Fat Free Plain Yogurt|
|0.25||cup, fluid (yields 2 cups whipped) Cream, Fluid, Heavy Whipping|
Recipe Directions for Curried Butter Chicken
- Note: Cardamom should be 7 whole cardamom pods, not the ground spice. Cloves should be 15 whole cloves, not ground. Cinnamon should be one cinnamon stick, not ground cinnamon.
- Melt 2 T of butter and 2 T vegetable oil in sautee pan over MEDIUM heat.
- Add cardmom pods, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Roast in butter, stirring frequently, until very fragrant--about 5 minutes.
- Remove whole spices and set reserve. Increase heat to MEDIUM-HIGH.
- Chop one medium onion, one large carrot, and 1-3 serrano peppers (adjust peppers to taste here).
- Sautee the vegetables until onions begin to go clear.
- Chop two cloves garlic and a peeled finger of ginger 1" long and add to pan.
- Sautee until all vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove everything from the pan and place in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth about 2 minutes. Set mixture aside.
- Add remaining 2 T of butter to pan and heat over MEDIUM heat. Re-add the whole spices to the pan.
- Heat until fragrant again, to flavor butter, about 5 minutes. Keep spices in skillet.
- Increase heat to MEDIUM-HIGH. Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry and add to pan.
- Brown chicken on both sides, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- In a bowl, combine 2 tsp ground turmeric, 1 T ground cumin, 1 tsp coriander powder, and 1 T tomato paste. Add red pepper flakes or powder here if desired for spicer dish. Mix well and pour over chicken in pan.
- Reduce heat to LOW and simmer chicken in all spices for 4 minutes on each side.
- Add vegetable mixture from food processor to pan. Stir well and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cut bell peppers into pieces, add to skillet. Simmer 7 minutes.
- Add yogurt and heavy cream (heavy cream can be skipped for healthier option, but substitute with more yogurt to keep creamy consistency).
- Simmer 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over brown basmati rice or with whole wheat naan. Amazing with lentil dahl or curried potato and cauliflower.
- Total prep and cook time - one hour
Chicken, Main Dish, Indian, Saute, Simmer
Serving Size 328.0g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!