Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Looking for an easy COZONAC recipe? Learn how to make COZONAC using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by loristanciu
Makes 44 servings
Romanian traditional sweet bread
Recipe Ingredients for COZONAC
|4||teaspoon dry yeast|
|60||ml vegetable oil|
|28||g rum extract|
|1||tablespoon lemon zest|
|2||tablespoon cocoa powder|
|1||cup raisins (optional)|
Recipe Directions for COZONAC
- 800g flour
- 300g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 400ml milk (1% or fat free)
- 4 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 60ml vegetable oil (canola or sunflower works best)
- 1 or 2 rum extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 400g walnuts
- 100g sugar
- Rum extract
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- What you need:
- 2 cake pans approx sizes 4? x 11? x 4? deep greased with oil and sprinkled with flour
- One large bowl ? for kneading
- Keep flour, sugar, oil, and eggs at room temperature for about two hours before you start. They need to reach same temperature.
- Cooking sweet bread must be done in a warm room where the doors and windows stay close during the cooking time. Any thread of cold air could damage the dough.
- Put the flour in a large bowl in a warm place.
- Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water.
- Meanwhile separate the yolks from egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites until makes a foam, and in a separate bowl mix the yolks with two tablespoon of sugar until they become creamy.
- Warm up the milk to approx. body temperature (40°C)
- Dissolve the remainder of the sugar into the milk, and add the rum extract and lemon zest
- Put the yeast in top of the flour, mix it a little bit. Add the milk, and then start to knead for about 5 minutes. Add the yolks ? knead for other 5 minutes. Add egg whites ? knead for 10 minutes. Add the oil ? knead for 10 minutes. Knead for at least 30 minutes (total time), bringing the dough from the sides to the middle. The dough must be kneaded until air bubbles can be seen in it, and it has an elastic consistency.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and place it in a warm place.
- Let it to rise until triple the volume (about 2 hours).
- Meanwhile prepare the filling:
- In a food processor add the walnuts, sugar, and cocoa powder and rum extract and process them until the walnuts are grind.
- Add milk one tablespoon at the time until it becomes a thick paste.
- When the dough has risen enough, grease your hands with oil; divide the dough in 4 equal parts.
- Take one part of dough, place it on the greased surface, and roll it flat with a pin, about 3/8? thick. Uniformly spread ¼ of the filling on top, and roll it.
- Repeat for the other 3 parts of the dough.
- Take two rolls, and swirl them to form one unit. Place it in the pan. Repeat for the other two.
- The dough must fill the pans halfway. Let them rise until it fills the whole pan.
- Brush it with a beaten egg, and set them in the oven to bake at 325 F for about 40-45 minutes. When is done, the top should look brown and glossy. Test it with an wooden stick ? if it comes out clean is done. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN THE FIRST 40 MINUTES.
- Remove it from the pan while is still hot, and place it on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top.
- Serve it only after is cooled.
Serving Size 55.3g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!