Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Cottage Pie Recipe
Looking for an easy Cottage Pie recipe? Learn how to make Cottage Pie using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by lhsn
Makes 8 servings
A cottage pie is like a shepherd?s pie, except that it?s made with beef, not lamb. Here, a hearty filling of ground beef, salty olives, savory tomatoes, and warming spices like chile powder, cumin, and cinnamon rein in the sweetness of the creamy sweet potato topping.
Recipe Ingredients for Cottage Pie
|2||lb sweet potatoes|
|1/2||cup skim milk|
|21||g Parmigiano Reggiano|
|2||tbs. unsalted butter|
|120||g celery stalks|
|9||g cloves garlic|
|2||tsp. ground cumin|
|1/2||tsp. dried oregano|
|5||g Chile Powder|
|1/4||tsp. ground cinnamon|
|1||lb. lean ground beef|
|14||oz. Whole Peeled Tomatoes|
|125||g Manzanilla Pimento Stuffed Olives|
|1/3||cup dried cranberries|
Recipe Directions for Cottage Pie
- Print It| Add to Favorites| ShareThis| Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
- by Martha Holmberg
- read reviews (6) A cottage pie is like a shepherd?s pie, except that it?s made with beef, not lamb. Here, a hearty filling of ground beef, salty olives, savory tomatoes, and warming spices like chile powder, cumin, and cinnamon rein in the sweetness of the creamy sweet potato topping.
- Serves 4-6
- Get a quick and delicious recipe every day with our
- FREE Make it Tonight newsletter
- sweet potatoes
- whole milk
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- butter kosher salt black peppercorns olive oil celery carrots garlic cumin seeds oregano cinnamon ground beef canned whole peeled tomatoes pimento stuffed green olives raisins For the topping
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lb. total)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 oz. (1/4 cup) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- Kosher salt and
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the filling
- 2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ancho chile powder or other pure chile powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 lb. ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 14-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped raisins or dried cranberries
- Prepare the toppping
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F. Line a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and set them cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast until very tender, about 30 minutes
- When cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a medium mixing bowl. Add the milk, cheese, butter, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper and beat with an electric hand mixer on low speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Prepare the filing
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion, and 1 tsp. salt. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, fragrant, and starting to turn golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, chile powder, and cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beef, season with 2 tsp. salt, and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Tilt the pan and spoon off all but about 1 Tbs. of the fat; return the pan to the heat.
- Pour the tomatoes and their juice into a small bowl and crush them with your hands or a fork. Add the tomatoes to the meat and cook, uncovered, until thick, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the olives and raisins and cook for another minute; season to taste with salt.
- Assemble and bake the pie
- Tip: You can use another size dish for baking the pie, but keep in mind that the thickness of the meat and sweet potato layers will change, which may affect the baking time. Transfer the beef mixture to a 9x9-inch baking dish. Spread the sweet potatoes over the top in an even layer. Bake until bubbling around edges, about 30 minutes. Switch the oven to a high-broil setting and position the rack about 6 inches from the broiler element. Broil the pie until the sweet potatoes are a bit browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Serving Size 301.0g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!