Important Update: Calorie Count will be shutting down on March 15th. Please click here to read the announcement. Data export is available.
Cottage Pie Recipe
Looking for an easy Cottage Pie recipe? Learn how to make Cottage Pie using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by jayboo2370
Makes 4 servings
Shepherd's Pie recipe from Joy of Cooking
Recipe Ingredients for Cottage Pie
|24||oz Potatoes, Boiled|
|3||tbsp Unsalted Butter|
|3||tbsp Canola Oil|
|1||medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions|
|1||stalk, large (11"-12" long) Celery|
|4||portion ( yield from 1/2 lb raw meat ) Beef, Ground, 80% Lean Meat / 20% Fat, Crumbles|
|1/2||oz All Purpose Unbleached Enriched Flour|
|3/4||cup Beef Broth|
|1||tsp, leaves Thyme, Dried|
|1||tsp Rosemary, Dried|
Recipe Directions for Cottage Pie
- SHEPHERD'S PIE
- Note: Numbers refer to pages in the cookbook. Many of the recipes can be found online by using our search feature.
- 4 servings
- Finely chopped or ground lamb covered with mashed potatoes is a favorite pub food in England and Ireland. Substituting chopped or ground beef for the lamb makes the dish Cottage Pie.
- Place in a large pot of cold water over medium heat:
- 1 1⁄2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1⁄ 2 cup of the cooking water. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and mash with a fork or potato ricer or masher, adding the reserved cooking water along with:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine in a large skillet:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- Cook over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender but not brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add:
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked lamb or 1 pound raw ground lamb
- If using cooked lamb, cook, stirring, until the meat begins to brown, about 5 minutes. If using raw lamb, cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the lamb loses its pink color, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon off excess fat.
- Stir in:
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add:
- 3⁄ 4 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary
- Let Meat cool a bit then place in 9in pie dish or similar baking dish
- spread mashed potatoes over meat and use fork tines to make peaks
- cut up 2 tablespoons of butter and place on top of potatoes
- Bake in center of oven for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes brown some on top
- I also sprinkle some shredded cheese on top for added color.
Main Dish, English, Bake
Serving Size 473.6g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!