Comforting Cottage Pie Recipe
Looking for an easy comforting cottage pie recipe? Learn how to make comforting cottage pie using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by jlendrum
Makes 4 servings
I've left out the seasonings - lookup on BBC food for recipe
Recipe Ingredients for comforting cottage pie
|1||large onion chopped|
|2||medium carrots, chopped|
|1 1/4||lb Beef, Ground, 95% Lean Meat / 5% Fat, Crumbles|
|14||oz can tomatoes|
|10||fl oz beef stock|
|2||tbsp tomato paste|
For the topping:
|1 1/2||lb potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|8||oz parsnips, peeled and chopped|
|2||tsp creamed horseradish|
|2 1/2||oz butter|
|2||fl oz milk|
Recipe Directions for comforting cottage pie
- Preparation time less than 30 mins
- Cooking time 1 to 2 hours
- A great, easy recipe for this classic dish.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 560g/1¼ lb beef mince
- 400g/14oz can tomatoes
- 290ml/10fl oz beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the topping:
- parsnips, potato and horseradish mash
- 750g/1½ lb potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 225g/8oz parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish
- 75g/2½oz butter
- 55ml/2fl oz milk
- 1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- 2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- 3. Add the minced beef and cook for 3 minutes to brown.
- 4. Add the tomatoes, purée, beef stock, bay leaf and thyme.
- 5. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
- 6. Make the mash: boil the potatoes and parsnips in water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Stir in the horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- 7. Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Beef, Main Dish, English, Bake
Serving Size 657.6g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - It's Easy and Free!