How much cholesterol should I eat on a low cholesterol diet?
Asked by steviewhitesoxs on Oct 30, 2008
in Health Conditions
My cholesterol is 250 mg. What should my maximum daily cholesterol intake be?
The risk for cardiovascular disease increases when blood cholesterol is high, and your cholesterol of 250 mg is in the high range; however, you need a fasting lipoprotein profile that measures LDL (the "bad cholesterol"), HDL (the "good cholesterol") and triglycerides before making therapeutic decisions. If your risk for heart disease is moderate or high, follow these diet recommendations:
- limit dietary cholesterol to 200 mg a day
- limit saturated fat to 7% of total calories (19 grams a day for you)
- limit total fat to 25 – 35% of total calories (66 – 97 grams a day for you)
- increase fiber to 25 - 38 grams per day (38 grams a day for you)
- limit sodium to 2300 mg per day
- exercise for at least 30 minutes a day and do weight-training twice a week