My Favorite Diet Books
A great book can change your life. Ask Erik Fantasia who created Calorie Count after reading The Hacker's Diet by John Walker. You can read it too online for free.
None of my favorite books is a best seller. Those books play too fast and loose with science. I avoid promises of quick weight loss, strict plans and eliminating food groups. One of my favorite books, Volumetrics, was voted the most carefully researched diet plan by Consumer Reports. I particularly love the books about compulsive eating that help the victims of those other diet plans.
My favorite diet writer is Geneen Roth, a wonderful eccentric who approaches food in an open, curious and kind way. For children, Ellyn Satter is the master, and for the basics, there's no beating Dieting for Dummies.
And so without ado, my favorite diet books so far:
For Compulsive Eaters
- Overcoming Binge Eating
- The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health
- Am I Hungry? What to Do When Diets Don't Work
- Why Weight? A Guide to Ending Compulsive Eating
- When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy (Plume)
- When Food Is Food and Love Is Love: A Step-by-Step Spiritual Program to Break Free from Emotional Eating
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
- The Emotional Eater's Book of Inspiration: 90 Truths You Need to Know to Overcome Your Food Addiction
The No-Nonsense Basics
- Joy's LIFE Diet: Four Steps to Thin Forever
- The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person
- Break Through Your Set Point: How to Finally Lose the Weight You Want and Keep It Off
- Change One Diet and Fitness: Updated and Expanded
- The No S Diet: The Strikingly Simple Weight-Loss Strategy That Has Dieters Raving--and Dropping Pounds
- Thin for Life
- Eating Thin for Life: Food Secrets & Recipes from People Who Have Lost Weight & Kept It Off
- The EatingWell Diet: Introducing the VTrim Weight-Loss Program
- The Step Diet: Count Steps, Not Calories to Lose Weight and Keep It off Forever
- The Way to Eat: A Six-Step Path to Lifelong Weight Control
- Dieting For Dummies
- The Rules of
- Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World
- What to Eat
- The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan
- The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
- Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
- Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating
- Eat This Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution
- Eat This, Not That! Thousands of Simple Food Swaps that Can Save You 10, 20, 30 Pounds--or More!
What is your favorite diet book? Have you read any of these?
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.