- Raisins and brown sugar
- Low-fat granola and skim milk
- Currants and golden raisins
- Raspberry nonfat yogurt and dried cranberries
- Apricot fruit spread and sliced almonds
- Sliced strawberries and plain nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
- Maple flavored pancake syrup and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- Canned crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, and chopped nuts
- Strawberry nonfat yogurt and sliced kiwi
- Sliced bananas and vanilla nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
- Reduced fat peanut butter and strawberry fruit spread
- Chopped dates, raisins, and walnuts
- Coarsely chopped canned peaches and ground ginger
- Diced dried apricots and honey
- Apple butter and raisins
- Blueberry fruit spread and vanilla or plain nonfat yogurt
- Orange marmalade and dried cranberries
- Coarsely chopped apple and brown sugar
- Reduced fat caramel topping and a sprinkle of chopped pecans
- Warm apple pie filling and skim milk
- Honey crunch flavor wheat germ and cinnamon
- Canned pear slices and maple flavor pancake syrup
- Skim milk and sliced peaches
- Mixed dried fruit
- Cherry preserves and wheat germ
- Diced cranberries and maple flavored pancake syrup
- Chunky natural applesauce
- Sliced bananas and mini-semisweet chocolate morsels
- Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar
- Canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
stir in some peanut butter, honey, and jelly (or real berries if you have them)!
mmm i feel like such a kid
This is my first time trying it...I actually just didn't want to wait long enough to cook some brown rice up =P
I go to a private school that tarts at 8:00 in the morning, therefore offering breakfast.
SO... my friends and I decided to have an oatmeal party!! ( the cereal they offer at school is usually soggy stuff that's been on sale since before most of us were BORN anyway:P)
we're all bringing our favourite flavours, and a few people volunteered toppings (going to use this thread for reference maybe ;) )
P.S. I LOOOVE chocolate chips in mine!!
So I bought some tea, like a chai tea with the yummy spice taste, and made that and added my oatmeal to it instead of plain water.
And since I couldn't do without my pumpkin (!!) I added that too and it made it so full of flavor!
I think when I can pull myself away from the pumpkin I will try it with some blueberry tea and blueberries, then strawberry =)
Saying that, I also like it made with soya milk with some fruit and fibre cereal mixed in.
Mmm ... can't beat a nice bowl of porridge, can you?
Make your pumpkin oatmeal as usual (don't forget the pumpkin pie spice!), make sure you're in an oven-proof bowl, and sprinkle the top with mini marshmallows and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes until golden brown. It is bliss in a bowl. You can adjust how many marshmallows you use to your taste or your available calories. And, the marshmallows add so much sweetness (yeah, I know, sugar) that you probably won't need to add any other sweetener. I could eat this every day.
This list is fantastic! I'll have to try some of these, but I have a suggestion of my own.
I add sugar free fat free coffee creamer. Usually either french vanilla or hazelnut. And cinammon of course. But I like it plain (no salt) also.
If I REALLY have a sweet tooth I may add a bit of raw/unprocessed honey (local) with some cinnamon which is delicious...
i love oatmeal!
i like it with brown sugar :)
sometimes I'll just cut up a fresh peach and eat the oatmeal uncooked with milk, its delish!
A dash of vanilla extract with your cinnamon also brings your oatmeal to the next level. Cardamon is another great spice for oatmeal.
I love love love strawberry jam in my oatmeal. And pumpkin. Crushed pineapple is really good as well. Bananas. Apples. Blueberries. Sour cherries are wonderful. Mango. Pears. Marshmallows. Applesauce.
What I want is the egg in oatmeal recipe. I'm so tired of eating boiled egg whites in the AM to get in a bit of protein!
Original Post by ratinhat88:
-Peanut butter and banana
I had this for breakfast! I also like apples and cinamon, or strawberries with a splash of vanilla.
I don't like the packaged ones because they are FULL of sugar, and I have to eat 2 to get my fill....
Sliced banana cooked in with the oatmeal, not added later - it makes the oatmeal sweet without having to add sugar. I also put wheatgerm in mine.
But recently I've been being good and packing food to take to school (I teach in Germany where school starts at 7:30, so breakfast when I get up at 5:45 is out of the question for me), and I wanted a variation on hot oatmeal that I could take (no microwave available). So what I do is this:
The night before, mix oats, wheatgerm, linseeds, spices (I use cinnamon and ginger), dried fruit (I use raisins and cherries) and cover in apple juice. In the morning I slice a banana and chop up half an apple and stir them in... and go to school! It's a real power breakfast, and it tastes AMAZING!
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.