I have a wonderful loaf of french bread that is as stiff as a board. I know there is a way to soften it, involving water and the microwave. Any ideas on how to do this, or does someone have another idea? Having it for dinner in an hour or so! Thanks
sorry can't help you with 'softening' it. what i would do is make a lovely bread and butter pud. but i suppose if you're calorie counting it's not exactly ideal advice!
have a lovely dinner anyway :)
Try popping it in the micro for a few seconds-- no water necessary. It works with stale bagels.
I've never been able to revive stale bread. it either becomes French toast or becomes bird-food.
Too late for this loaf, but maybe for future reference...
Slice it. Put slices on baking sheet. Add a little butter or olive oil, whatever spices might go with your meal, and a little cheese. Bake for 10 minutes at 350.
I've never had luck with "reviving" stale bread - I wind up either making french toast or turning it into bread crumbs for later use.
this never fails:
1) preheat oven to 350
2) take a clean towel-med sized- like a hand towel or dish towel and wet it with cold water
3) squeeze the water out-leaving a damp but still wet towel and wrap the bread in the towel
4) placed the wrapped bread in the oven right on the rack-mid oven area
5) leave in the oven around 6 to 8 minutes-depending on oven-feel the bread and see if its soft-you will be able to tell
6) take the wrap off and put just the bread back in the oven and bake about 2 to 4 minutes
Come out crusty on the outside and warm and moist on the inside-just like fresh baked--also works well with frozen whole breads but need to heat a little longer :-)