Focus and Discipline Is The Key
The title is one tip that this week's featured member, nithinmuktesh83 would like to share with you. He tells us about his dietary and physical fitness routines that have helped him lose over 35lbs, and it’s a plan he will continue to follow until he reaches his goal.
He contacted us through our Share Your Story feature and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What made you decide to lose weight this time? Did you have an "Aha!" moment?
I've been having "Aha!" moments for the past few years! But I never really had the perseverance and dedication to really pull it off. This time thankfully I managed to have the focus to burn off my excess calories, thanks to my friend Hari who is my gym/diet partner and his brother who suggested we use caloriecount.about.com.
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
Everything possible. Diets, gyms etc. It was just lack of focus that let me down all the time. I'd lose some weight, become complacent and then get back to old habits!
3. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude?
I realized that weight loss is all about changing your lifestyle. Eat healthy, hit the gym, indulge in sports and go for treks were the major changes that I could bring in my lifestyle. I stopped eating chocolates, ice creams, sodas, pizzas, KFC, and McDonald's. I reduced rice and all other carbs to the bare minimum, eating once or twice in a week, with very limited quantities. I started having cereals for breakfast, indian bread (chappati/roti) for lunch and a very light dinner with fruits/vegetable salad. I also started hitting the gym atleast 4 times a week and started body pump and body combat classes at the gym.
4. How did Calorie Count help you to lose weight?
I would not be writing this if it had not been for Calorie Count. Knowledge of the food you eat is the basic requirement to start a healthy diet. And once I started keeping track of what I ate on a daily basis, I realized the mistakes made in past. For example, I never realized that adding sauces, salad dressings or mayonnaise into a sub makes it really heavy on bad calories. Bringing such subtle things into diets makes a huge difference and improves not only our waistline but also our health.
5. What was most challenging about losing weight?
The real challenges I face are at parties and team lunches. The buffets, beer, beef, ice creams, and the gulab-jamuns (indian sweet). Having to keep my hands off that was my biggest challenge.
6. How long did it take you to see results?
It took me about 1.5 months to see results. I really started losing weight quickly once I got into the groove of regular exercise and dieting.
7. When did you realize that you were a success?
I knew I was a success when I could wear "medium" size T-shirts with ease and when my waist size 33 pants started fitting me.
8. How do you prevent relapse?
I am still a little away from my goal. Once i get there, I just need to make sure that it's maintained by a healthy diet and regular exercise.
9. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
Confidence! I feel good and proud about my achievement. I'm more active now than I was before and I always feel great after my gym workout.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Focus and discipline is the key to weight loss. Without that no matter how many diet programs or gyms you enroll in, they will not help you sustain the effort.
- Kill the fat. There's no shortcut that will make this effort less painful - just stick with your program and avoid the excess calories.
- Know what you eat. Calorie Count is the best tool to help with this.
- Get to the gym and don't stick to cardio all the time because you'll get bored soon. Attend classes, lift weights, try different types of cardio workouts.
- Set small targets (weekly or bi-weekly). Once you start seeing the
achievements there, you'll keep trying harder and one day you'll realize you are weighing 20-30 pounds less.
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.
Also on About.comRead More »
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.