I Cut Portions and Dropped 60 Pounds
Kamran_warsi attributes his fantastic success at losing 60 lbs to using Calorie Count's tools. In his story he shares his tips on how he stayed motivated on his journey to a healthier lifestyle.
He contacted us through our Share Your Story feature and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an "Aha!" moment?
I can't really say I had an "Aha!" moment but I remember playing ball hockey and feeling constantly short of breath. I remember thinking "huh! I guess I am getting older!" It was time to face the music and realize I am not infallible.
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I did not try any other diets. As I said, until now I didn't think it really mattered.
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change?
I read a lot of people talking about hitting the gym hard, etc. I did not take the approach. I focused solely on my calorie intake along with nutrition. I have always played competitive ball hockey two to three times a week but I did not incorporate any other exercise. I cut out almost all unhealthy carbs. For a while, I didn't eat any potatoes or rice etc.
The most important change I made though, was learning to portion my meals. This is where this app helped change my life! I remember logging a few days and wondering, why did I just add mayo to my food? That's over a 100 calories for so little taste!
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss.
Where do I begin?!! Without Calorie Count, I would never have succeeded. First off, it obviously helped me establish my calorie goals as well as track them. Then there was the community support which I didn't think I needed but turned out to be a huge motivator! Not only reading the success stories but also the people struggling with the same things I did!
Calorie Count also helped me realize that it's not just how much you eat, it's also what you eat. I loved aiming for the green bars everyday.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight?
The hardest part for me was, resisting all the home made fatty Indian foods. Especially when I was visiting family. Unfortunately, it was not culturally accepted or normal for as they put it "a healthy young man."
I also found that I was a situational eater. For example, I craved chocolates and junk food when in a theatre. It was very hard to break those habits but knowing I wouldn't have enough green bars, got me through it!
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success?
I noticed results almost immediately on the scale but I didn't feel like a success until I had lost about 30 lbs and my fellow coworkers and teammates at work, just kept asking what I was doing. I knew I was a true success when the same people criticizing my diet, were asking me for dieting advice!
7. How do you prevent relapse?
I weigh myself on a regular basis and I still do my best to watch my calories. The main thing is reminding yourself how you feel now, compared to how you felt then.
8. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
Wow! How is it the same?!! I can run faster, play harder and I have ten times as much energy when playing with my children!
9. How long have you maintained your current weight?
I have maintained my weight for about 2 months.
10. What tips do you have for other dieters?
- Do not expect an overnight change. Be patient.
- Weigh yourself regularly but do not be over critical or yourself.
Everyone's body is different.
- Do not guesstimate your portion sizing. Be sure to log accurately. Yes, even that nibble you had!
- Don't let anyone discourage you. People criticize what they do not understand and/or what they cannot do. Stay focused!
- 80% of the battle is diet. You can exercise regularly and you may lose weight, but you won't be truly healthy until you eat better.
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.