Changing My Lifestyle
Looking back Cassymichael was always unhappy with her weight. Deriving inspiration from a popular fitness game, learning to say no to junk food, and trying out healthy foods have helped her shed over 62lbs in the last year.
She contacted us through our Share Your Story feature and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What made you decide to lose weight this time?
I've wanted to lose weight since I was little girl but never did anything to do so. One day I decided to check out Wii Fit since we were looking at getting a Wii system. I figured it looked like fun and I would give it a try but didn't honestly know what to expect and didn't really expect anything significant to happen.
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
Nothing! You hear so often people claim to have tried everything. I never made any real attempt to lose weight before.
3. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude?
It started with a little exercise on Wii Fit. After losing 10 lbs but bouncing back and forth between a 5-10lb loss I figured I needed to take a closer look at what I was eating. At first I just wanted to eat healthy and cut out the junk but didn't take into consideration things like portion size and I didn't realize that some things I thought were healthy weren't so much and were high in calories. Eventually I gave into calorie counting based on my BMR and ate what I wanted and slowly improved my food quality. I still continue to learn and improve more every day
4. How did Calorie Count help you to lose weight?
Over the last few months my weight loss had slowed to almost a complete halt. I had hit the dreaded plateau. I decided it was time to amp up my game and needed to change how I approached not only exercise once again but also how I look at my nutrition. Since joining Calorie Count I have started shedding the pounds again.
5. What was most challenging about losing weight?
For me it was exercise. I found it much easier to just stop eating things then to actually get off my butt and workout. You actually have to be proactive. But I noticed quickly that a body losing weight without exercise is much flabbier then a toned body with exercise. I just don't like the idea of losing muscle with the fat so it keeps me pushing every day.
6. How long did it take you to see results?
I saw little changes right away but I really started to get results when I started counting calories, I was suddenly losing consistently every week.
7. When did you realize that you were a success?
When I realized that I had changed my lifestyle and I couldn't stop living this way even if I tried. Especially this October when I had reached my one year anniversary. I have accomplished so much in the past year and I have my whole life ahead of me!
8. How do you prevent relapse?
A healthy fear of going back to the way I was. It took so much work to get here and I know it would take nothing to get back there in a matter of no time. So I keep pushing, even if I have a bad day or week I never give up. I'm never looking back.
9. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
I don't have to shop in specialty shops. I can buy my clothes anywhere and find my size and it's not the biggest size for once either. I have a whole new level of confidence, more energy then I used to and I accomplish so much more day to day.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Plan to change your life. You have to look at everything you plan to do and say "can I do this for the rest of my life?"
- Say yes, you can do it. If someone told me I'd have gotten this
far a year ago I wouldn't have believed it, I still cant believe it.
- You can't exercise on a poor diet. You can spend hours in the
gym every day but if you don't change your eating habits you won't get
anywhere. It takes hours to burn just a few hundred calories, only a few
seconds to eat them.
- Strength training is just as important as cardio. Too many people
only care about cardio because it burns more calories in the moment
but strengthening your muscles helps you to burn more calories when
your not working out and helps prevent muscle loss when in a caloric
deficit so you end up with a more toned look and half the weight your
losing isn't muscle mass, just fat!
- Keep pushing! Even if you have a bad day or a bad week pick yourself back up! The only way you can fail is if you quit. NEVER
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.